By actively promoting these values means that we challenge opinions or behaviours in our school that are contrary to fundamental British values. We fully recognise that any attempts to promote systems that undermine fundamental British values are completely at odds with our duty to provide SMSC.
Through our provision of SMSC, and as appropriate for the age of our pupils, we aim to:
- enable our pupils to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- enable our pupils to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England
- encourage our pupils to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
- enable our pupils to acquire a broad general knowledge of an respect for public institutions and services in England
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures
- encourage respect for other cultures
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England
Through our promotion of fundamental British values, and as appropriate for the age of our pupils, we aim to develop pupils’:
- understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process
- appreciation that living under the rule of law protects individual citizens and is essential for their wellbeing and safety
- understanding that the freedom to choose and hold other faiths and beliefs is protected by law
- acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour
- understanding of the importance of identifying and combating discrimination
We promote these values through our wide ranging provision and our broad and balanced curriculum. This page of our website – though not exhaustive and only providing information about some of what we do – exemplifies how we promote British values in our school.